Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Facebook ‘Friends”

They really should have another name for it, or at least divide the people into categories.

When I found out I was pregnant, my husband and I saw a friend of his in the supermarket.  His wife was heavily pregnant at the time, so heavily pregnant in fact, that she was a week overdue and he had commented that she had gone for long walks to try and bring the baby on.  She then came around the corner of the aisle.  I said 'Hello' and shared with her our exciting news, expecting her to be excited too.  I commented to her that hopefully their baby will come soon.  She replied with ‘I don’t want to talk about it quite frankly’ and with that walked off, leaving her husband to try and explain her rudeness.

I decided from then on to not give her any of my time.  Now this may seem harsh but I didn’t know her that well and the times I had met her she wasn’t overly friendly anyway.  It was an easy decision for me, especially as being excited as I was about such a life changing experience for us, it was quite deflating. 

So the next few times I saw her I didn’t smile, didn’t acknowledge – nothing.  I didn’t think anymore about it.

Then recently, almost a year and half later, I get a friend request on facebook from her.  What the?!

  1. I’m not her friend
  2. Why would she even want to be a facebook friend after the way I treated her?
Of course I added her anyway, as you do.

3 comments:

  1. I often get "friend" requests from people I don't even know....I tend to ignore them....and "ignore" is such a harsh term as well.....perhaps it could be "thanks - but no thanks" or better than "ignore"..."go away..leave me alone....I don't know you" - but you are too nice to ignore someone's friend request.....btw...are we FB friends?? Perhaps I will send you a friend request...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it should be considered a compliment that she still wants to be your friend anyway! Maybe it's the aloofness and 'no need' to be her friend that has actually made you more desirable and fascinating to her - therefore actually achieving the opposite of your intent! I mean, the fact that you didn't need her friendship means you must just have so many friends and be so good at being a friend she has to be associated with you! He he!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last year I applied to be a Facebook friend of a terrific lady I have known for many many years, but sadly my request application was unsuccessful. I managed to bury the emotional distress of rejection deep within the shadowy catacombs of my hardened emotionless exterior, though through tightly clenched eyelids one single tear squeezed forth unto freedom to bear bleak and salty witness to the warring intensities within....

    ReplyDelete