Monday, May 30, 2011

Do you lose respect for me because I love 'Gossip Girl?'

It's a little embarrassing for me to admit but I think it is time I came out and admitted it - owned up to my secret shame.  I love watching 'Gossip Girl.'  My Tuesday night special.  In the lead up to watching it I tell myself that I don't need to watch it.  I can't even really remember why I love it.  I can convince myself that it is not my type of show.  But then it starts.  And immediately I am drawn in.  I am hooked onto every unrealistic, far-fetched and often ludicrous story lines as though it was happening in my world.  Even though the 'upper-east New York socialite' lives of the characters couldn't be any further from my own reality.  I'm not sure there is even a character I really like (except Dan Humphrey - the oh-so-stereotypical brooding, smart, hot writer).  But I think we all need that 'escape' show.  The one that we watch half wishing we had lives like that - but the other half breathes a sigh of relief that we don't have to deal with that level of drama weekly (I hope!).  But I would love to be able to 'pull-off' the fashions (and have the money to do so!).  And I would love the seemingly lack of awareness of consequences that, while causing much short-term heartache, their resilience allows them to 'bounce' back so quickly (usually into the next drama).  I'm not sure I'd have the resilience and perseverance to handle it all!  Maybe they are a good role model for us - in dealing with, and overcoming, conflict!  See, I really have just talked (written?) myself into a real, legitimate and shameless reason for watching 'Gossip Girl.'  Do you have a 'secret shame' show that you are ready to 'out' yourself with?  Be brave.
Well, now I'm off, it's Tuesday night and I have to escape into my show! 

No comments:

Post a Comment