Thursday, May 12, 2011

The Ex-Nail Biter

Biting nails.  I loved biting my nails.  I couldn’t understand why anybody would NOT want to indulge in such a self satisfying act. 
The thrill of getting that last..little..bit that was just annoying me so much.  The joy of chewing away whilst lost in my favourite TV show.
Although I was always disappointed with the look of my hands once I got all dressed up for a party or a nice outing…somehow my hands seemed to look feral all of a sudden with bits of skin hanging off here, little bits of blood there, but all would be forgiven once the nails grew a little and I started to chew again.

Then I got engaged.  My beautiful ring.  It couldn’t possibly be seen with nails and skin that were chewed down.  So I started to grow my nails.  I never knew my nails could be so beautiful, strong.  My skin was clear and perfect….and I didn’t get sick.

What?! Every year I would get the flu without fail.  Regardless if I had the flu shot or not, I would get the flu.  I accepted it as part of my fate.  However, I realised since I stopped biting my nails, not the flu, not a cold, NOTHING.

Which made me think of what I was touching with my fingers which I would then happily put in my mouth.  Money (gross!), petrol pumps (disgusting!). keyboards (after someone had sneezed on their hands!), door handles! The list goes on.
Who’s filthy germs were I putting in my own mouth? Everyone’s it seems.

So hence, my nails are long, my skin around the nails is clear.  And I no longer get sick

No comments:

Post a Comment